I celebrated the big 3-0 on June 22nd of this year and it turned out to be really great! I have seen so many people lose their lives far too early so I couldn’t be too depressed about getting older because each birthday is truly a blessing when you think of those who have gone home far too soon. I have never been much of a dare devil but when I look back over some of the accidents or close calls I have had it is amazing that I am still around and that I have no significant damage from my teen/college years! I have not always made the best decisions and I have made lots of mistakes but I know they have all been a part of God’s plan and I think I have had just enough heartache to be grateful for the small things and I have lost enough to be grateful for each new day and learned enough to know that we can only concern ourselves with the day at hand and I have loved enough to span a lifetime so I consider myself very blessed to be here at the ripe ole’ age of 30 and I think if you looked back at my 10th grade project where we had to project where we would be in 15 years I am pretty sure I am exactly where I always said I wanted to be….I have a degree, a career, a husband, a family and a home so whenever I get down about the goals I haven’t reached yet I have to remember that on the other hand I haven’t done so bad. I am so thankful for my precious friends and family who celebrated with me and made my 30th birthday truly memorable. I got to celebrate for two weeks and I loved it! We started on June 13th with a Pool Party/cookout at my mother-in-law’s to celebrate the many June birthdays we have in our family. There is my brother in law on June 12th, my nephew on June 3rd, our dear family friend Mr. Felton on the 13th and myself on the 22nd. It was a great day of food, fellowship and fun! Then the following weekend on June 19th my best friend, Bethany whose friendship I consider priceless took me out to dinner at Grits but when we arrived there were three other friends who were waiting to celebrate with us so that was a nice surprise and we had a great time! Then Saturday, June 20th I went to celebrate another special friend, my cousin, Jennifer whom shares my birthday and she was surprised with a party thrown by her husband, mom and sister. We actually blew out the candles together on our 30th birthday just as we did on our 1st birthday so that is a very special memory because something like that doesn’t happen often! Then on Sunday, June 21st we celebrated Father’s Day and my birthday with my family and we again enjoyed great fellowship and food and then on Monday, June 22nd, my real birthday my incredible staff surprised me with a cake, card and balloons, my husband and kids sent me flowers and the sweet girls from Kappa Delta whom I advise at Georgia College sent me flowers as well. Then I didn’t think we had any special plans for Monday night and was even a little disheartened when Brad asked if he could still work out after work as usual so I picked up the kids like normal, went home changed clothes and started working on dinner when all of the sudden my sister shows up on my door step insisting she just stopped by to visit the kids then Brad shows up still dressed in his work clothes and tells me we are going out to dinner and Meg is babysitting so it was a big surprise and we had a great time. It was a great two weeks of celebrating and I encourage everyone to celebrate that long when they have a big birthday! I find the words of my favorite children’s author, Dr. Seuss to be quite true as I look back on the last thirty years. His words are really quite profound and I think do a great job of explaining this road we call life. We have read this book to Lawson so many times he can almost recite it just by looking at the pictures. From the pen of Dr. Seuss:
“I’m sorry to say so
But, sadly, it’s true
That bang-ups
And hang ups
Can happen to you.
You can get all hung up
In a prickle-ly perch.
And you gang will fly on.
You’ll be left in a Lurch.
You’ll come down from the Lurch
With an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
That you’ll be in a Slump.
And when you’re in a Slump,
You’re not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
Is not easily done.
On and on you will hike.
And I know you’ll hike far
And face up to your problems
Whatever they are.
You’ll get mixed up, of course,
As you already know
You’ll get mixed up
With many strange birds as you go
So be sure when you step
Step with care and great tact
And remember that Life’s
A great balancing Act
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft
And never mix up your right foot with your left
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…..
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
Or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,
You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So….get on your way!"
Dr. Suess, “Oh the Places you will Go”
Random House
No comments:
Post a Comment