Friday, August 13, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten (can't belive I just typed that)


Well my friends, the day has finally arrived. My baby boy has started Kindergarten. That same precious little being who entered our lives five years ago walked down the hall into his Kindergarten classroom this morning. He is so excited though and so far he has loved every minute of it! I find it ironic that I worked so hard to find someone who could keep our children at home because I didn't want him to have to stay at the Extended Day program but now that is exactly what he wants to do! Yesterday was technically the first day but he wasn't on his own as all the parents and kids were there together from 9-11 am. Some kids were crying because they had to stay the afternoon while parents went to work and Lawson was asking if he could stay the afternoon! He was his usual self and I think after just two hours yesterday all of the parents know who Lawson is. I think I am raising a little legend as he is one in a million for sure! He was very respectful and polite but he was as talkative as ever and had a comment for everything the teacher said or a question to ask. I wish we had taken the video camera!

Today was day 2 of school so I dropped him off this morning though I couldn't bear to go through the carpool line and literally drop him off and watch him walk in all alone so of course I parked and walked him into the building. We had the sweetest conversation on the way to school. He was so excited and talking 90 to nothing and he remembered the book his teacher had read the day before (The Kissing Hand) as I told him how I couldn't believe I was driving him (and leaving him) at Kindergarten. This was our conversation:
Me: I can't believe I am driving you to Kindergarten today
Lawson: I know, I'll miss you Mom
Me: I'll miss you too
Lawson: But all you have to do is kiss my hand before you leave and you can take my love with you wherever you go
Me: (after my heart melted) awe, thanks baby...I'll do that

Lawson: Mom, God is with me wherever I go and he will be with me today and I have decided to make the right choices. (yay, yay, yay I said in my head)

When I picked him up the car pool line was long (dismissal is at 12:15 so I arrived at 12:05 thinking I was early but I learned my lesson)so I was sitting in line and I saw his class as they crossed the street over to the pickup building and Lawson and his new friend Layne were bringing up the rear. I knew he would see me and he started pointing and telling everyone that was his Mom and the teacher hurried him along and I waved and he waved back then turned around and blew me the biggest kiss ever! You know I was taking pictures through my car windshield but of course I missed that one. He hopped in the car when I finally got to him and I said "how was your day?" and he exclaimed "it was great!" He said he told his teacher that he loves Kindergarten. I hope this love sticks around for the rest of the year!

No comments: