Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tough Night

Last night was a tough night to be a parent. We know we have to discipline him and punish him when he does something wrong but it sure does hurt our hearts to do it. Really puts the old "no pain, no gain" saying into perspective. Lawson had a rough afternoon at school yesterday. He was sitting in the director's office when I got there to pick him up because he had been kicking his friends and even kicked one in the face. I talked with him in her office and he just hung his little head because he knew he was in trouble and that was followed by him begging me not to tell his Daddy. As we got in the car I told him I sure was sorry he had a bad day because I had a dollar in my pocket and was planning to let him get a drink from the drink machine (which is always a big treat for him) but since he misbehaved we couldn't and this brought on the tears. To my surprise he sat quiet as a mouse all the way home except for a few tears as I told him how disappointed I was. We came home and he went straight to time out and he had his dinner there. He told me at one point "Mom, that sure was sweet of you to bring a dollar" as he remembered he would have been able to get a drink. Then I gave him a bath and he went back to time out where he stayed until his Dad got home from the gym. His Daddy talked with him, spanked him and put him in bed. There were lots of tears at first but then he settled down and just laid there I guess because Brad had told him he couldn't have any books in bed. When I got back from exercising I went in to do a devotion with him from his devotion bible and he was so excited to have some company and when I got done he said "are you getting up now" and I said yes, that I had to and he said "Mom, can I keep my devotion book and read it?" I told him yes and as I was walking out he called me back and said "Mom, Daddy said I couldn't have any books in the bed" and I assured him it was okay and I would let his Daddy know that I told him it was okay. He is really such a sweet, thoughtful boy but he is just "all boy" as they say so he is rough and tough and doesn't always make the best decisions but when I think about it I really wouldn't want it any other way. I know this is just the beginning of having to practice tough love and I pray and trust that God will equip us with all we need along the way.

No comments: