Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sweet thoughts

As is common for Lawson he has been speaking of his God a lot lately and he gets a little frustrated sometimes because he can't see him or hear him. Don't we as adults sometimes experience that too? I know I have and I try to explain to him that God is there even though we can't see him, touch him or audibly hear him. He seems to understand somehow because he always finishes those thoughts with "yes ma'am, I know he's with me." There have been many times in my life where I wondered where God could be but now years later as I look back I can truly see how He was always there working everything for my good just as His word promises he will. I have a real heart to share my testimony and since God has given me that desire I know he will provide a way but in the meantime I thought I could share a few things here and there through my blog posts. I'm no blog superstar with lots of followers but I trust that the folks who might need to hear what I have to share will be led here. More on my personal testimony to come!
I am feeling a bit nostalgic today as we approach Lawson's 4th birthday and Bella's 1st. I cannot believe my baby is going to be four years old or that my princess will be one. I don't know where the time has gone but I am so thankful for all the special moments over the years. Lawson has bloosomed into a strong, courageous, energetic and brillant little boy. It seems like just yesterday Brad and I were leaving for the hospital to deliver Lawson and I can still remember so vividly the first time I saw that sweet little face minutes after he was delivered and I can remember the tears and the sweet kiss from my husband that followed. We knew in that instant that our lives would never be the same. There is a famous quote that says something like "to have a child is like having your heart go walking around outside of your body" and I completely agree. I can remember that feeling in the car as we drove our new little family home and thinking "did those people really just let us leave the hospital with a new baby?" I didn't know what to do but I quickly learned! We had no idea the day Lawson was born on May 25, 2005 all of the trials we would face in the years ahead as parents and as partners but before we knew it 2007 was here and we were expecting again. Bella Grace was born on May 14, 2008 and she has been another ray of sunshine in our home ever since. It has been so great to watch both kids and see how they are so incredibly different because God made them that way...Brad and I are doing most everything the same with this one we did with Lawson so it's not us. Bella is not quite as friendly as Lawson and she tends to be a little moodier but she is just as fiesty and just as determined as her big brother. She is dainty and beautiful compared to her strong, handsome brother who has always worn at least a size bigger than his age. She loves her Daddy more than anything else in this world and will literally shake her head "no" when I or anyone thinks of taking her from his arms. For the record, Lawson always wanted to love on his Momma first so this is new for me. Next week she will turn a year old and it is funny to think back to the first eight weeks of her life when she had colic and screamed so much that I didn't think I would make it but I did and now I can look back and say that time.... the newborn time full of colic and sleepless nights passed so quickly. It is certainly no wives tale that these years pass so fast. As Lawson would say this reminds me of a song: Here are a portion of the lyrics to a new song by Darius Rucker that make a great song about parenthood:
"He didn't have to wake up
He'd been up all night
laying there in bed listening
to his new born baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee
He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says
It's gonna be okay

It won't be like this for long
One day soon we'll look back laughin'
at the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by
so baby just hold on
It won't be like this for long

Four years later about 4:30
she's crawling in their bed
and when he drops her off at preschool
she's clinging to his leg
the teacher peels her off of him
he says what can I do?
she says now don't you worry
this will only last a week or two

This phase is gonna fly by
he's trying to hold on
It won't be like this for long"

We have certainly experienced all of those moments thus far in our journey with Lawson and are beginning to repeat some with Bella and it is true that it doesn't last for long. Happy Birthday to my babies!

1 comment:

HappyascanB said...

How sweet! I can't imagine how you feel because I can't believe Law's already 4!!! I remember standing over his crib with you and Brad just watching him breath when he was just weeks old. We laughed then about how you were a momma and you readily admitted you were clueless, but I never doubted you. You have been and are an outstanding mother! Lawson and Bella are both such true gifts from God, and time does move too quickly. . . . Precious, precious post, friend!