Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tall Tales & Pillow Talk with Lawson


Lawson is an incredible, adorable and fun loving little boy full of energy who sometimes finds himself telling stories to his Mom and Dad. Not his usual fun story book stories that he tells in the car in his story telling voice but like real lies. Thankfully at 3 and a half we aren't dealing with anything too harsh but here is an example from last Saturday:


He decided he no longer needed to sleep in a pull up that he could sleep in his big boy underwear just like Daddy and honestly he usually doesn't wet the pull up during the night but I guess I am scared to test the theory just yet so I have left it alone so this night I agreed to the underwear for bedtime. Well, wouldn't you know he did have a little accident that night so the next morning I was in the den and when he woke up he walked in and said "Mom, my pants are wet" and I said "Oh, did you wet your pants?" He looked me straight in the eye and said "No, I had a dream about water and I spilled it." It was all I could do to keep a straight face but I went along with his story and changed the sheets for the little fella. He always makes me laugh because now he does to me what I do to him when I try to make a point....he will take my face in his little hands and say in his most stern, serious voice "Momma, look at my eyes" and then he goes on explaining whatever it is he needs me to understand all while being so serious but so cute I could eat him!

One night soon after when I put him down he asked me as he usually does to lay down with him for five minutes so I did and as we were laying there on his pillow talking he was trying to get me to agree to staying there all night so he said he was scared and needed someone to protect him and I told him me and Daddy would always protect him and I asked if he remembered why he didn't ever have to be afraid and he said "yes, because God is with me" and I said that's right and from that point we talked about family relationships and how my Dad is his Pop and such and I told him how one day he would grow up and he said "but I'll miss you" and I told him I would hopefully always be close by but that I had to stay with Daddy and of course he didn't understand all I was trying to explain about families but I just relished that sweet moment with my baby boy of being the most important thing in his world because I know it will only last for a moment. Things like that always serve as a good reminder for me to stop and play with my kids when they ask or crawl in bed with them at night for a few minutes no matter what else needs to be done around the house because thankfully I am learning that chores can wait but the innonence of childhood can't. I feel so blessed to be a mother but especially because I'm the Mom of Lawson and Bella Grace!

2 comments:

HappyascanB said...

The pillow talk makes me teary eyed! How precious!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a precious story!! You are truly blessed to have such an animated little boy!!